Records in Haskell

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 19:48:53 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 13:38, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Simon Peyton-Jones
> <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I know of no proposal that advocates only (A).  It seems that we are
> agreed
> > that we must make use of types to disambiguate common cases.
>
> I will try to make the case for (A), just so it has been put on the table.

I think the point is more that, given (b), (a) is seen to be redundant.
 Which I don't understand; seems to me that, in the context of (b), it's a
way to easily provide more information to the type inferencer (which, given
that (b) adds more complexity to the inferencer, looks like a way to
control that complexity in practice) without hardcoding a type.