Records in Haskell

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 13:12:46 CET 2012

2012/1/8 Greg Weber <greg at gregweber.info>:

> 2012/1/8 Gábor Lehel <illissius at gmail.com>
>>
>> Thank you. I have a few questions/comments.
>>

>> "The module/record ambiguity is dealt with in Frege by preferring
>> modules and requiring a module prefix for the record if there is
>> ambiguity."
>>
>> I think I see why they do it this way (otherwise you can't refer to a
>> module if a record by the same name is in scope), but on the other
>> hand it would seem intuitive to me to choose the more specific thing,
>> and a record feels more specific than a module. Maybe you could go
>> that way and just not give your qualified imports the same name as a
>> record? (Unqualified imports are in practice going to be hierarchical,
>> and no one's in the habit of typing those out to disambiguate things,
>> so I don't think it really matters if qualified records shadow them.)
>

> In the case where a Record has the same name as its containing module it
> would be more specific than a module, and preferring it makes sense. I think
> doing this inside the module makes sense, as one shouldn't need to refer to
> the containing module's name. We should think more about the case where
> module & records are imported.
>

>> "Expressions of the form x.n: first infer the type of x. If this is
>> just an unbound type variable (i.e. the type is unknown yet), then
>> check if n is an overloaded name (i.e. a class operation). [...] Under
>> no circumstances, however, will the notation x.n contribute in any way
>> in inferring the type of x, except for the case when n is a class
>> operation, where an appropriate class constraint is generated."
>>
>> Is this just a simple translation from x.n to n x? What's the
>> rationale for allowing the x.n syntax for, in addition to record
>> fields, class methods specifically, but no other functions?
>

> It is a simple translation from x.n to T.n x
> The key point being the function is only accessible through the record's
> namespace.
> The dot is only being used to tap into a namespace, and is not available for
> general function application.

I think my question and your answer are walking past each other here.
Let me rephrase. The wiki page implies that in addition to using the
dot to tap into a namespace, you can also use it for general function
application in the specific case where the function is a class method
("appropriate class constraint is generated" etc etc). I don't
understand why. Or am I misunderstanding?

>> Later on you write that the names of record fields are only accessible
>> from the record's namespace and via record syntax, but not from the
>> global scope. For Haskell I think it would make sense to reverse this
>> decision. On the one hand, it would keep backwards compatibility; on
>> the other hand, Haskell code is already written to avoid name clashes
>> between record fields, so it wouldn't introduce new problems. Large
>> gain, little pain. You could use the global-namespace function as you
>> do now, at the risk of ambiguity, or you could use the new record
>> syntax and avoid it. (If you were to also allow x.n syntax for
>> arbitrary functions, this could lead to ambiguity again... you could
>> solve it by preferring a record field belonging to the inferred type
>> over a function if both are available, but (at least in my current
>> state of ignorance) I would prefer to just not allow x.n for anything
>> other than record fields.)
>

> Perhaps you can give some example code for what you have in mind - we do
> need to figure out the preferred technique for interacting with old-style
> records. Keep in mind that for new records the entire point is that they
> must be name-spaced. A module could certainly export top-level functions
> equivalent to how records work now (we could have a helper that generates
> those functions).

Let's say you have a record.

data Record = Record { field :: String }

In existing Haskell, you refer to the accessor function as 'field' and
to the contents of the field as 'field r', where 'r' is a value of
type Record. With your proposal, you refer to the accessor function as
'Record.field' and to the contents of the field as either
'Record.field r' or 'r.field'. The point is that I see no conflict or
drawback in allowing all of these at the same time. Writing 'field' or
'field r' would work exactly as it already does, and be ambiguous if
there is more than one record field with the same name in scope. In
practice, existing code is already written to avoid this ambiguity so
it would continue to work. Or you could write 'Record.field r' or
'r.field', which would work as the proposal describes and remove the
ambiguity, and work even in the presence of multiple record fields
with the same name in scope.

The point is that I see what you gain by allowing record fields to be
referred to in a namespaced way, but I don't see what you gain by not
allowing them to be referred to in a non-namespaced way. In theory you
wouldn't care because the non-namespaced way is inferior anyways, but
in practice because all existing Haskell code does it that way, it's
significant.

>> Later on:
>>
>> "- the function that updates field x of data type T is T.{x=}
>> - the function that sets field x in a T to 42 is T.{x=42}
>> - If a::T then a.{x=} and a.{x=42} are valid"
>>
>> I think this looks considerably ugly. Aren't there better
>> alternatives? { T.x = }, { T.x = 42 }, { a.x = }, { a.x = 42 } maybe?
>> (Does this conflict in some unfinesseable way with explicit layout
>> contexts?)
>

> I think this is one of those slightly different syntaxes that many people
> will have an initial bad reaction to, however once they use it they will
> like it just fine. The problem with what you are suggesting is that it would
> be verbose when updating multiple fields at once. But we should investigate
> if it is possible to have a syntax closer to the existing update syntax.

Good point.

>> "the function that changes field x of a T by applying some function to
>> it is T.{x <-}"
>>
>> Same comment on syntax applies. I believe this is a new feature? It
>> would be welcome, albeit the overloading of <- is a bit worrisome
>> (don't have better ideas at the moment, but I think there was a
>> thread). I assume T.{x <- f}, a.{x <-}, and a.{x <- f} (whatever the
>> syntax is) would also be valid, by analogy to the above?
>

> Yes, new feature, so not necessary in the initial implementation. I
> personally think Haskell should drop the monadic curly brackets which nobody
> uses, but whatever syntax works is fine with me.
>

>> Re: Compatibility with existing records: based on (very) cursory
>> inspection I don't see an obstacle to making it (near-)fully
>> compatible - you would just be adding some new syntax, most
>> significantly x.n. Backwards compatibility is a great advantage, so
>> why not?
>>

>> Generalizing the syntax to arbitrary TDNR: I think I'm opposed to
>> this. The problem is that in existing Haskell the vast majority of
>> expressions (with the notable (and imho unfortunate) exception of
>> (>>=)) flow from right to left. Going the other way with record fields
>> isn't a big problem because it's simple and doesn't even feel like
>> function application so much as member-selection (like modules), but
>> if you were to allow any function you would soon end up with lengthy
>> chains of them which would clash nastily with the surrounding code.
>> Having to jump back and forth and switch directions while reading is
>> unpleasant. OO languages have this problem and I don't envy them for
>> it. And in particular having "a . b" mean "first do b, then do a", but
>> "a.b" mean "do b to a" would be confusing. (You'd already have this
>> problem with global namespace record field selectors, but at least
>> it's localized.)
>

> I agree - I think a.b or A.b should always mean tapping into a namespace and
> not be generalized outside of that.
>

>> All of that said, maybe having TDNR with bad syntax is preferable to
>> not having TDNR at all. Can't it be extended to the existing syntax
>> (of function application)? Or least some better one, which is ideally
>> right-to-left? I don't really know the technical details...
>>
>> Generalized data-namespaces: Also think I'm opposed. This would import
>> the problem from OO languages where functions written by the module
>> (class) author get to have a distinguished syntax (be inside the
>> namespace) over functions by anyone else (which don't).
>

> Maybe you can show some example code? To me this is about controlling
> exports of namespaces, which is already possible - I think this is mostly a
> matter of convenience.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're suggesting we be able to write:

data Data = Data Int where
    twice (Data d) = 2 * d
    thrice (Data d) = 3 * d

and that if we write 'let x = Data 7 in x.thrice' it would evaluate to
21. I have two objections.

The first is the same as with the TDNR proposal: you would have both
code that looks like
'data.firstFunction.secondFunction.thirdFunction', as well as the
existing 'thirdFunction $ secondFunction $ firstFunction data' and
'thirdFunction . secondFunction . firstFunction $ data', and if you
have both of them in the same expression (which you will) it becomes
unpleasant to read because you have to read them in opposite
directions.

The second is that only the author of the datatype could put functions
into its namespace; the 'data.foo' notation would only be available
for functions written by the datatype's author, while for every other
function you would have to use 'foo data'. I dislike this special
treatment in OO languages and I dislike it here.

>> Another thing that would be nice is lenses to solve the
>> nested-record-update problem - at least the room to add them later.
>> Most of the proposed syntax would be unaffected, but you'd need some
>> syntax for the lens itself... I'm not sure what it might be. Would it
>> be terrible to have T.x refer to a lens rather than a getter? (I don't
>> know how you'd refer to the getter then, so probably yeah.) Or maybe {
>> T.x }, building backwards from { T.x = }?
>>

>> Another existing language very similar to Haskell whose record system
>> might be worth evaluating is Disciple: http://disciple.ouroborus.net/.
>> Unfortunately I couldn't find any specific page it seemed best to link
>> to.
>

> The syntax of DDC seems the same as this proposal. However, I could not find
> any specific information either.

The main things I remember being interesting about it are that it's
based on lenses, and uses some kind of extensible projectors system to
allow something similar to what you achieve with datatype-namespaces,
namely 'virtual' record fields. But I haven't studied it in detail.