renamed GMP symbols in GHC

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 20:14:26 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 13:53, Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org> wrote:

> (But I am really wondering why the linker cannot do something that has
> the same effect as objcopy --prefix-symbols, but on the fly.)

Some of them can; notably the binutils ld, which comes from the same source
as and uses the same mechanism as objcopy.

The linker on OS X doesn't have this particular mechanism (although I think
it has other features that could be used toward the same end, if not in the
same way), and binutils ld does not work properly on OS X (nor does
objcopy, again because it's the same mechanisms; the BFD library doesn't
support Mach-O properly.  This is probably why Apple at first shipped a
crippled version and later removed it entirely.  You can install a full set
from MacPorts, but it breaks a *lot* of stuff...).

And Solaris's ld has still another way to do this kind of thing, IIRC.