renamed GMP symbols in GHC

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Thu Jan 5 19:19:39 CET 2012

> On 04/01/2012 21:00, Joachim Breitner wrote:
>> Would linking gmp statically help? E.g. is there a way to link libgmp
>> into the RTS that the symbols are not visible to the linker any more?

It has slightly more licensing complications - GMP is LGPL, which
requires that the user of a program that includes it be able to replace
GMP. Shared libraries do that easily.  Static linking would probably
require someone who compiles+distributes a program that uses both
Haskell and GMP/MPFR to distribute their .o files (or alternatively
their source code), so that they can be re-linked to a different GMP.
(Their program still does *not* have to be LGPLed.)

The parties I've heard publicly concerned about duplicate packages are
Linux/BSD distros that primarily support Free Software.  So that
complication might not even be a problem (provided the GHC user would
get a choice whether to staticly link, and probably default to dynamic
linking).

~Isaac