Using 'git bisect' on the GHC tree

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at
Mon Feb 27 04:31:21 CET 2012

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Given a GHC git commit hash, is there a way to get the various
> libraries into a state where I can build the GHC version specified
> by the hash?

As suggested by this:

and some help from Igloo on #ghc, I grabbed a build log from

and generated a fingerprint file from that. I then did

   ./utils/fingerprint/ restore -f tn23build534.fp

and tried to build it, but was still thwarted by the following:

    Configuring Cabal-1.13.3...
    ghc-cabal: At least the following dependencies are missing:
    base >=4 && <3 && >=2 && <5, filepath >=1 && <1.3
    make[1]: *** [libraries/Cabal/Cabal/dist-boot/] Error 1
    make: *** [all] Error 2

At this point I think I basically have to give up on using git bisect
which I have found so useful on other projects.

Erik de Castro Lopo