via-C

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Mon Feb 6 07:05:14 CET 2012

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 09:09:58PM +0100, Krzysztof Skrz??tnicki wrote:
> GHC code still depends on RTS code (written in C by the way) which has to
> be ported to a specific platform first. Native code generator offers
> 'registered' and 'unregistered' builds. The first are aware of specific
> register layout of a architecture. You can find more rationale why it has
> been removed somewhere on GHC wiki or mailing lists.
>
> I think you might be interested in JHC: http://repetae.net/computer/jhc/
>
> By design it compiles Haskell code to efficient C code which is quite easy
> to read and hack further. Cross compilation is supported and easy too. The
> compiler is somewhat experimental but can handle quite a few programs.

I need a  reliable portability for ages  for the Haskell applications
written in  Haskell-2010 + Ext,
where  Ext = Overlapping instances + Multiparametric classes
(as in GHC).
In particular, my DoCon is such an application.
And no Haskell tool was able to compile DoCon except GHC
(I tested this in 1995 - 2000).
And now GHC somehow seems to deviate from portability
(if I am not missing something, I do not know of the GHC technology
details).

I suspect that a reliable portability can be done mainly by writing in
C an interpreter of the Core language of GHC (no matter if it occurs
even 10 times slower).

Regards,

------
Sergei