ghc -C in 7.4.1

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at
Sun Feb 5 19:06:08 CET 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 12:11, Serge D. Mechveliani <mechvel at> wrote:

> I needed to look into the C code made by     ghc-7.4.1

GHC doesn't write C source any more.

   Warning: The -fvia-C flag does nothing; it will be removed in a future
> GHC release

which is what this is telling you

> ghc: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
>  (GHC version 7.4.1 for i386-unknown-linux):
>  pipeLoop: at phase As but I wanted to stop at phase HCc

and this appears to be a symptom of it not having been completely removed;
the phase it wants to stop at no longer exists so it's getting caught after
the fact.  "Oops"

> 2. How to see this C code? What GHC version shows it?

ghc6.x supported -fvia-C, ghc7.x does not.  Modern ghc uses a more
efficient native code generator instead of going through C.

Why is the purported C code supposed to be useful?

brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at