Separating build tree from the source tree

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Thu Dec 20 09:47:09 CET 2012

> The workaround is to link your .git directory from your build tree, like
> so:
>
>   $ cd ghc-build
>   $ ln -s $source/.git .
>
> where $source is your source tree.
I managed to get it working on Debian though there were some small issues. Lndir linked .git
directory by default, but it was not visible to ./configure. I had to `rm -r .git; ln -s
ghc-working/.git .` and things seem to work now. One thing bothers me: how can I undo `perl
boot`? `make clean` doesn't seem to remove the configure scripts so I am not sure whether the
tree in the ghc-build directory works because of symlinking .git or because I have configure
files in the original source directory.

Janek