How to start with GHC development?

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Fri Dec 14 17:32:46 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 02:44:19PM +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> This thread has made it clear that we should do more to help people find a "way in" to GHC.

I think the main problem is that it's a very broad question. The answer
to "how should I get started" would be completely different for if you
wanted to implement a type system extension, port GHC to a new platform,
or fix a bug in ghci (just to pick 3 examples; I think that trying to
enumerate on a wiki page all the possible ways in which you could get
started would be infeasible).

I just had a quick look at how easy things are to find from
    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/
and they look OK to me. One thing I wonder is how understandable the
"commentary" link is to someone who doesn't already know what it is.
Would something like "A developer's guide to GHC" be better? That might
be too long for the sidebar, though.

Thanks
Ian