How to start with GHC development?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 14:36:08 CET 2012

On 13/12/12 09:54, Yuras Shumovich wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 09:41 +0000, Chris Nicholls wrote:
>
>> What's the best way to get started? Bug fixes? Writing a toy plugin? I
>> don't have a huge amount of time to offer, but I would like to learn to
>> help!
>>

> GHC bug sweep is the way I'm trying to start with:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/BugSweep
> (have no idea whether it is the best way or not :) )

The BugSweep was a great idea at the time, but I think it stalled.  Do
feel free to carry on though!  I think it's a great way to learn about
GHC, because it will send you off in random directions investigating things.

While there are lots of old bugs that are now fixed, or have duplicates,
or aren't relevant, etc. there are also lots of old bugs that are still
around because they aren't fixed because they aren't worth the effort.
Still, making even *some* progress on any old bug is worthwhile, even if
it is to point out a workaround that didn't exist before, or update the
test case.  This will generate an email, and since there are people that
read all the Trac emails, occasionally this prods someone else to make
further progress or just close the ticket.