How to start with GHC development?

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Thu Dec 13 09:56:59 CET 2012

Dear list,

I'm reposting my message from Haskell-cafe here since this seems like a more appropriate place to
ask this question. I would like to learn about internals of GHC and contribute to its development
in the future. I read a couple of papers that give a very general overview of GHC (chapter from
AoS, papers about inliner and multicore support) and I'm thinking what direction should I pursue
now. I got the GHC sources and started reading commentary on the wiki, but it seems that entry
barrier is very high.

Aside from the problem of understanding the whole project organization itself, I also don't have
background on implementation of functional languages. In fact I have a rather basic knowledge of
compilers in general - I only took Stanford's online course on Compilers at Coursera. I was
thinking that perhaps I should read SPJs "Implementing Functional Languages: a tutorial" or "The
Implementation Of Functional Languages" book to learn more about theory? On the other hand I
don't know if getting stuck in theory for next couple of months is a good idea.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and help.

Janek