Haskell Dynamic Loading with -fllvm

Nathaniel Neitzke nightski at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:53:42 CET 2012

Essentially I have a use case that, if worked, would save countless hours
in development time.  I am writing a scientific computing web service
utilizing the Repa and Snap libraries.  The Snap framework has a dynamic
loader that will load modules on the fly when the source files change.

This works excellent!  The problem is that the modules must be compiled
with full optimizations (including -fllvm) or web service operations take
minutes instead of < second to execute at run time.  I do not mind the
penalty paid for optimized compilation.  It is still much faster than
recompiling and linking the entire exe from scratch and restarting the
server.

The problem is when the code is compiled with -fllvm dynamically, it
crashes.  I believe this is a known issue as listed in this trac -

NOTE: it says "The LLVM backend doesn't support dynamic libraries at the
moment."

My question is could anyone point me in the right direction as to what
might need to be implemented support for this?  Is anyone currently working
on it?  It would be a huge win for the work I am currently doing, to the
point where if I can't find a way to get this working (even if it means
diving in and attacking it myself), I may have to switch to another
language/platform.

Thanks,
Nathan