PolyKind issue in GHC 7.6.1rc1: How to make a kind a functional dependency?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 31 18:45:08 CEST 2012

Hrmm. This seems to render product kinds rather useless, as there is no way to refine the code to reflect the knowledge that they are inhabited by a single constructor. =(

Wait. When you say “This seems to render produce kinds useless”, are you saying that in the code I wrote, you think irt should compile??  I reproduce it below for completeness.

Simon

{-# LANGUAGE FunctionalDependencies, GADTs, KindSignatures, MultiParamTypeClasses, PolyKinds,
             RankNTypes, TypeOperators, DefaultSignatures, DataKinds,
             FlexibleInstances, UndecidableInstances #-}

module Knett where

data Thrist :: ((i,i) -> *) -> (i,i) -> * where
  Nil  :: Thrist a '(i,i)
  (:-) :: a '(i,j) -> Thrist a '(j,k) -> Thrist a '(i,k)