I/O overhead in opening and writing files

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Tue Aug 28 05:11:33 CEST 2012

On 8/27/12 5:33 PM, Donn Cave wrote:
> It does, but it can also read directly to Ptr Word8 (fdReadBuf), which
> you'd think would be closer to hardware speed - but then you might lose
> the advantage trying to peek the data out of the buffer.  In principle
> you ought to be able to stuff that pointer right into a ByteString,
> but don't know for sure that there's any public API for such.

As Austin Seipp mentioned, there's unix-bytestring[1] which minimizes
the amount of marshaling/conversion imposed by using a high-level
language. And it includes the obvious conversion between Ptr Word8 and
ByteString. If there's any remaining overhead, let me know and I'll do
my best to eliminate it.

But, that's only for the reading and writing; opening files is another
matter. If it's the *opening* of files that's causing the slowdown, then
that has to be due to something in how GHC handles filename conversion
et al.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/unix-bytestring

--
Live well,