API for looking-up/retrieving Haddock comments?

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Fri Aug 3 10:04:02 CEST 2012

Hello,

I've been wondering if there have been attempts to provide some
library/API or similiar facility (other than pointing your web-browser
to the static Haddock HTML report) for looking up Haddock comments
associated with Haskell symbols?

As an obvious application: When coding in dynamic languages
(e.g. Python, Elisp, or GNU R to name a few), I've learned to appreciate
the ability to lookup up documentation interactively from the
tab-completing REPL w/o having to "switch context/focus" to different
application (as I currently do: I have to switch from GHCi to a
web-browser and first locate the appropriate package/module and then
find the symbol I'm interested in).

cheers,
  hvr