default instance for IsString

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 24 10:04:38 CEST 2012

I'm not following the details of this thread, but if you guys can come to a conclusion and write up a design, I'd be happy to discuss it.

If you want validation of literal strings, then TH quasiquotes are the way to go:

	[url| http://this/that |]

will let you specify the parser/validator to use ("url" in this case) and allow any error messages to be delivered in a civilised way at compile time.

I don't really want to make "http://this/that" have exactly this semantics; apart from anything else, which parser do you mean.  This is what TH quasiquotation is *for*.

Simon