Evaluating type expressions in GHCi

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 21 00:44:18 CEST 2011

Sean

Yes, this has been asked for before, and it wouldn't be hard to implement.

What should the GHCi command be *called*?

We already have :kind, which displays the kind of a type.  Maybe :kind! should evaluate the type as well?  Or perhaps :kind should evaluate anyway (although that would be a bit  inconsistent with :type which does not evaluate the expression)