No subject

Fri Sep 2 19:57:00 CEST 2011

> I'm trying to set up a build/test environment on Windows.

> Building ghc (sh validate) fails after a while due to flex and bison
> crashing. Those two come with git and even
> $ flex --version
> (or bison) crashes, so they seem truly hosed.

> Do I need flex/bison at all to build ghc?
> It seems they're not used on linux for building ghc.
> So, if not, how do I configure things that the build doesn't try to use
> bison/flex?
> If yes, would installing flex and bison from gnuwin32 work?

I ran into this issue last night as well. See

flex appears to be required from integer-gmp's ./configure for one of
GMP's demo programs. (a calculator demo I think)

I'm trying to see if a slightly newer msys installation process as
listed in the Trac bug will take care of it.

However, last night I got a stage 1 ghc seg fault while compiling some
Haskell code further along in the build.

I currently have a devel1 build in progress to see what I come up with next.

I also ran into: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5488 about
bootstrapping using the Windows 7.2.1 standalone bits to bootstrap
ghc-HEAD.
If the devel1 build doesn't give any useful symptoms to pass along
I'll probably retry the build using the Haskell Platform compiler.

Fyi,
Bill