No subject

Fri Sep 2 19:57:00 CEST 2011

> I'm trying to set up a build/test environment on Windows.

> Building ghc (sh validate) fails after a while due to flex and bison
> crashing. Those two come with git and even
> $ flex --version
> (or bison) crashes, so they seem truly hosed.

> Do I need flex/bison at all to build ghc?
> It seems they're not used on linux for building ghc.
> So, if not, how do I configure things that the build doesn't try to use
> bison/flex?
> If yes, would installing flex and bison from gnuwin32 work?

I ran into this issue last night as well. See

flex appears to be required from integer-gmp's ./configure for one of
GMP's demo programs. (a calculator demo I think)

I'm trying to see if a slightly newer msys installation process as
listed in the Trac bug will take care of it.

However, last night I got a stage 1 ghc seg fault while compiling some
Haskell code further along in the build.

I currently have a devel1 build in progress to see what I come up with next.

I also ran into: about
bootstrapping using the Windows 7.2.1 standalone bits to bootstrap
If the devel1 build doesn't give any useful symptoms to pass along
I'll probably retry the build using the Haskell Platform compiler.