No subject

Sun Oct 23 10:51:38 CEST 2011

believe fromString will tempt misuse (i.e. using *easily* partial
functions, like XML validation), while others don't think it's that
likely.  Indeed misusing IsString is worse than your average partial
function because of the global nature of typeclasses and fromString
being implicit.  If that is indeed the core of the disagreement, then
can we at least agree that writing a partial fromString is a bad idea?
 I'd say *easily* partial since someone pointed out the UTF8
fromString is partial, but it's pretty hard to type bad UTF8
accidentally so it doesn't seem so bad to me.

If we agree that 'fromString :: String -> XML' is a bad idea, then can
we just say "so don't do that then"?  Safety is good but there's a
point where you have to trust people with the sharp tools.  Suppose a
library author adding a fromString for regexes that crashes on
unbalanced parens.  If it's a problem in practice I imagine people
would complain to them to change their library, or use another
library.