Two Proposals

Philip Wadler wadler at inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed Oct 19 11:23:52 CEST 2011

> Yes... not quite so well with the “by” variants.  What would we say?
>
>           then group initsBy by x

This problem occurs independent of group, does it not?

  then sortBy by x

The solution is to rename

  sort --> sortByDefault
  sortBy --> sort

but that's hardly appealing.  Might be better to live with the
problem.  Any ideas?

> I don’t think we can steal “group” as a keyword -- it’s a function exported
> by Data.List, and I don’t think the benefit justifies the cost.

So you are saying you prefer "then group" to "group"?

Yours,  -- P

--
.\ Philip Wadler, Professor of Theoretical Computer Science
./\ School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.