behaviour change in getDirectoryContents in GHC 7.2?

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at
Fri Nov 18 19:26:29 CET 2011

On 10 November 2011 14:35, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at> wrote:
> Agreed.

>> I'm wondering if we should also have hSetLocaleEncoding,
>> hSetFileSystemEncoding :: TextEncoding ->  IO () and change
>> localeEncoding, fileSystemEncoding :: IO TextEncoding.
>> hSetFileSystemEncoding in particular would let people opt-out of
>> escapes entirely as long as they issued it right at the start of their
>> program before the fileSystemEncoding had been used.
> Ok by me.

I've done this as well. One wart is that System.IO.localeEncoding ::
TextEncoding and I dn't want to break that API. So the
System.IO.localeEncoding is always the *initial* locale encoding and
does not reflect later changes via setLocaleEncoding.