encoding and paths, again

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Wed Nov 16 09:09:56 CET 2011

On 14/11/2011 14:47, Simon Marlow wrote:

>> (1) Does Win32 need similar additions? I can't spot any substantial
>> changes to it for Max's PEP383, but I'm not sure if any lower-level
>> library changes might have affected it.
>
> No - Win32 file paths cannot by definition contain invalid Unicode.  The
> existing Win32 library is fine.
>
>> (2) What's the recommended way of doing the equivalent of
>> getDirectoryContents for RawFilePath? Do we also need to add "raw"
>> versins to the directory package?
>
> getDirectoryContents :: RawFilePath -> IO [RawFilePath]
[...]

Thanks. One followup - in the Win32 case (where I guess we can still use
the normal getDirectoryContents and get a FilePath), is it still
necessary to re-encode the results to guarantee independence from the
current settings (e.g. as proposed by Max in
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2011-November/021116.html),
or do we just always get the original filename properly because of the
way Windows handles paths?

Sorry if all this is obvious but every time I think I understand Unicode
I get proven wrong!

Cheers,

Ganesh