behaviour change in getDirectoryContents in GHC 7.2?

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Nov 10 01:17:45 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 03:58:47PM +0000, Max Bolingbroke wrote:

> (Note that the above outlined problems are problems in the current
> implementation too

Then the proposal seems to me to be strictly better than the current
system. Under both systems the wrong thing happen when U+EFxx is entered
as unicode text, but the proposed system works for all filenames read
from the filesystem.

In the longer term, I think we need to fix the underlying problem that
(for example) both getLine and getArgs produce a String from bytes, but
do so in different ways. At some point we should change the type of
getArgs and friends.

Thanks
Ian