behaviour change in getDirectoryContents in GHC 7.2?

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Wed Nov 2 22:46:21 CET 2011

Hi Max,

On 01/11/2011 10:23, Max Bolingbroke wrote:

> This is my implementation of Python's PEP 383 [1] for Haskell.
>
> IMHO this behaviour is much closer to what users expect.For example,
> getDirectoryContents "." >>= print shows Unicode filenames properly.
> As a result of this change we were able to close quite a few
> outstanding GHC bugs.

Many thanks for your reply and all the subsequent followups and bugfixing.

The workaround you propose seems a little complex and it might be a bit
problematic that 100% roundtripping can't be guaranteed even once your
fix is applied. Do you think it would be reasonable/feasible for darcs
to have its own version of getDirectoryContents that doesn't try to do
any translation in the first place? It might make sense to make a
separate package that others could use to.

BTW I was trying to find the patch where this changed but couldn't - was
it a consequence of
https://github.com/ghc/packages-base/commit/509f28cc93b980d30aca37008cbe66c677a0d6f6
?

Cheers,