behaviour change in getDirectoryContents in GHC 7.2?

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Nov 2 17:29:56 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 01:29:16PM +0000, Max Bolingbroke wrote:
> On 2 November 2011 10:03, Jean-Marie Gaillourdet <jmg at gaillourdet.net> wrote:
> > As far as I know, not all encodings are reversable. I.e. there are byte sequences which are invalid utf-8. Therefore, decoding and re-encoding might not return the exact same byte sequence.
>
> The PEP 383 mechanism explicitly recognises this fact and defines a
> reversible way of decoding bytes into strings. The new behaviour is
> guaranteed to be reversible except for certain private use codepoints
> (0xEF00 to 0xEFFF inclusive) which:
>  1. We do not expect to see in practice
>  2. Are unofficially standardised for use with this sort of "encoding hack"

I don't understand this.

If I understand correctly, you use U+EF00-U+EFFF to encode the
characters 0-255 when they are not a valid part of the UTF8 stream.

So why not encode U+EF00 (which in UTF8 is 0xEE 0xBC 0x80) as
U+EFEE U+EFBC U+EF80, and so on? Doesn't it then become completely
reversible?

Thanks
Ian