testsuite, failures galore

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:04:28 CEST 2011

On 31/05/2011 14:53, Daniel Fischer wrote:

> Well, compiling and running a simple test programme that calls bfd_init()
> works here without linking in libz, so I guess that test wouldn't detect
> the dependency even if it actually runs the executable.

That's very mysterious.  Perhaps bfd_init doesn't pull in anything that
has the libz dependency, and you have to call some other function in the
bfd library instead.  Here's a fragment of code in the RTS that calls
bfd functions:

     bfd_init();
     abfd = bfd_openr(name, "default");
     if (abfd == NULL) {
	barf("can't open executable %s to get symbol table", name);
     }
     if (!bfd_check_format_matches (abfd, bfd_object, &matching)) {
	barf("mismatch");
     }