Completely reproducible Haskell builds

Greg Steuck greg at nest.cx
Fri May 27 19:08:42 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Matthias Kilian <kili at outback.escape.de> wrote:
> An alternative could be to just strip the single `symbol' off the
> object file (using something like strip -N ...). I didn't yet test
> this for real.

This has to go with -optl=-Wl,build-id=none. Otherwise ld produces  a
.note.gnu.build-id ELF section. In words of my wiser colleague:

  The reason build-ids differ is that build-id is a checksum of
"important ELF bits" (at link time), and symbol table counts.

I suppose one could strip off the  .note.gnu.build-id as well, but
avoiding differences in the first places is a better strategy.

Thanks
Greg
--
nest.cx is Gmail hosted, use PGP for anything private. Key:
http://tinyurl.com/ho8qg