build ghc package from repo ?

Ranjit Jhala jhala at cs.ucsd.edu
Thu May 19 07:10:38 CEST 2011

Dear ghc-users,

I'm having a rather tricky time building a fresh copy of
ghc from the git repository (let me call it git-ghc) and
then getting my-own-client-code to compile with the modules
from git-ghc. The catch is that my-client-code also
depends on other cabal-installed libraries which break
once git-ghc is installed as _the_ ghc in my system...

Is there a way I can just build git-ghc but ONLY install
the packages (i.e. add them to the ghc-pkg database) so that
my-own-client-code can then be compiled (by platform-ghc)
against the modules from git-ghc?

Thanks!,

Ranjit.