upgrading to 7.0.3 causes assembly errors

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:40:45 CEST 2011

On 05/05/2011 16:23, Evan Laforge wrote:
>> No, GHC compiles either for 32-bit or 64-bit, chosen when GHC is built.  You
>> probably want to install the 32-bit version of GHC.
>
> Ohh, so ghc always produces one kind, and no amount of -m flags will
> change that?  I see, I thought it was like gcc that just took a flag.

Correct.  There are moves afoot to let GHC support -m32/-m64, but it
will be a while (probably not 7.2.1).

>> I'm not sure how this worked for you before...
>
> Before ghc on OS X always produced 32bit, but gcc defaulted to 64bit.
> So I set a bunch of flags so that whenever ghc invoked gcc it would
> pass a -m32.

Ok, that was a bug which is fixed in the 7.0 series.

>>> I guess I should have upgraded sooner to catch this back when there
>>> was a new ghc 7 release every week...
>>
>> Yes, if you could check with the 7.2.1 release candidate when we put one
>> out, that would be very helpful.
>
> Ok, looking forward to it!  I followed the directions on the wiki but
> I'm a git newbie so I don't really understand its branching model.
> After a clone of ghc.git, do I have the latest 7.2 or is this a stable
> branch or something?  I just want to make sure if I make changes I'm
> working from the most up to date version.

There isn't a branch for 7.2 yet, we plan to create one soon and we'll
put the details for checking it out on the wiki.  Also, we are still
building snapshot binary distributions as usual, so you don't have to
build GHC yourself.