Fix context reduction stack overflow in dimensional

Bjorn Buckwalter bjorn.buckwalter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 14:12:40 CEST 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 15:46, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Attached is a patch that fixes a context reduction stack overflow in
> your dimensional package.

Thanks Bas, was the build failure on GHC 7.0.3? I don't believe this
problem occurred on 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 although I'm not sure about the
latter. I'm a little behind on GHC versions myself, waiting for 7.0.3
to get in the HP.

> I noticed something weird though (that's why I'm CCing the ghc list).
> When I cabal build dimensional-0.8.2 I first get the context reduction
> stack overflow when I then build it again I get the error again (as
> expected). However when I try to build it for the third time it
> succeeds! Why is this?
>
> I attached the build log.

It looks like the first two times it build all seven modules, failing
on CGS, while the last time it decides to build only CGS. Strange
indeed.

Anyway, I'll upload a patched dimensional to Hackage right now. But
I'll need to figure out how to get my ssh key on code.haskell.org
before I can push the patch to the repo...

Thanks,
Bjorn