hoogling GHC

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 23:15:19 CET 2011

Hi Ranjit,

> Is there a command line option that allows one to change the default prefix for the
> URL returned by searches?

No command line option, but you can change the .txt file itself by doing:

@url http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.0.1/html/libraries/ghc-7.0.1/
@package ghc

That should cause all the URL's in the GHC package that aren't
explicit to have the above URL prepended to them. If there's demand, I
can add a flag.

Thanks, Neil

> On Mar 9, 2011, at 1:59 PM, Neil Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Hi Ranjit,
>>
>> It sounds like you've got quite far. Sadly the manual is a bit out of
>> date with respect to generating databases, but generally you need to
>> produce ghc.txt on your own (using tools such as GHC's make system),
>> then you can do:
>>
>> hoogle convert ghc.txt default.hoo
>>
>> Then you can run the local server with:
>>
>> hoogle server --databases=.
>>
>> That will find databases from the current directory, and serve them.
>> Alternatively, if you put ghc.hoo (or default.hoo) in
>> $DATADIR/databases it will pick them up automatically (where $DATADIR
>> is whatever Cabal configured it to be). If you name the database as
>> default.hoo it will be searched by default, if you name it ghc.hoo
>> then "foo +ghc" will search for foo in the GHC database.
>>
>> If a copy of ghc.txt was publicly available somewhere (and updated on
>> some schedule), I'd be happy to make the official Hoogle server search
>> it. Usually I just grab databases off Hackage, but I'll happily make
>> an exception for GHC.
>>
>> Thanks, Neil

>>> Have you found the various versions of the web deployment procedure yet?
>>>
>>> deploy.txt:  instructions to follow manually (seems to be up-to-date)
>>> deploy.sh:   a shell script version to run locally (may be old)