ghc-7.0.2 on macports wanted

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 11:32:17 CET 2011

On 10 March 2011 17:51, Christian Maeder <Christian.Maeder at dfki.de> wrote:
> Why does the base package depend on iconv only on macs? iconv is not
> needed under linux or solaris (unless you install haskeline, which is
> not in the platform.

I don't have access to a Linux box to check, but according to the
source code iconv should be required on any platform except Win32.

Could we do something here to make GHC compatible with either iconv?
For example, on OS X we could weakly link base against both iconv_*
and libiconv_* and then have the hs_iconv_* functions dispatch to the
first non-null function of the two.

Alternatively, perhaps it would be sufficient to have bases'
"extra-lib-dirs" include /usr/lib/? I guess this would only work if
GHC arranges to put -L/usr/lib at the very front of the link line,
though.

Some sort of solution here would eliminate a lot of pain and suffering
on the part of OS X GHC users :-)

Cheers,
Max