GHC and Haskell 98

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 11:54:30 CEST 2011

> From: Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com>
>
> On 17 June 2011 16:47, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > So: ? ?Under Plan A, some Hackage packages will become un-compilable,
> > ? ? ? and will require source code changes to fix them. ?I do not have
> > ? ? ? ?any idea how many Hackage packages would fail in this way.
>
> Of the 372 direct reverse dependencies of haskell98:
>

> http://bifunctor.homelinux.net/~roel/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/revdeps/haskell98-1.1.0.1#direct
>
> there are 344 which also depend on base (See http://hpaste.org/47933
> for calculating the intersection).

Is it easy to check, out of those 344, how many would build if the
dependency on haskell98 were removed?  I suspect it's not needed for the
majority of cases.

+1 for Plan A, but interested in mitigating the negative consequences.

(Bas, your link doesn't work for me BTW, can't resolve the IP.  May be my
uni's dns cache.)

John Lato