MonoLocalBinds and hoopl

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 17:55:27 CEST 2011

On 14/06/2011 14:28, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> That is an interesting thought.  As it happens, each binding records what its free variables are, so it would not be hard to check whether all the free variables were top-level-bound.
>
> Of course, it would make the rule a bit more complicated.  Rather than
> 	only top level bindings are generalised
> it would be
> 	only binding groups whose free variables are top-level are generalised
>
> Mind you, the rule is complicated already; for example bang-patterns are not generalised.  So maybe this would be no worse.
>
> I must say I'm inclined to adopt this idea.  Any comments from others?

I'd rather the rule were simple, but I don't feel that strongly about it.

While we're in the area, do you feel inclined to implement this?

it would clear up the problems with MonoPatBinds - unlike
MonoLocalBinds, you can't use a type signature to extract yourself from
a MonoPatBinds error, and that proposal resolves the problems nicely.