[Haskell-cafe] How to install GhC on a Mac without registering?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 17:14:07 CEST 2011

On 06/06/11 15:57, Daniel Peebles wrote:
> Isn't gcc just used for its assembler and object file creation, these
> days, now that via-C is deprecated? Or are there other parts of it that
> are needed?

The C compiler is needed to support foreign export and foreign import
"wrapper", and we also generate C fragments for some initialisation code
now (in 7.2.1) as part of some changes I made to the way module
initialisation is done.  The C compiler is also used to support
-rtsopts, which requires compiling a small C file and linking it into
the binary.

It's sometimes handy to be able to compile C files with GHC, if you're
not using Cabal.