Superclass Cycle via Associated Type

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 21 18:46:12 CEST 2011

You point is that the (C Int) dictionary has (C String) as a superclass, and (C String) has (C Int) as a superclass. So the two instances are mutually recursive, but that's ok.

That is not unreasonable. But it is dangerous. Consider
         class C [a] => C a
Then any dictionary for (C a) would contain a dictionary for (C [a]) which would contain a dictionary for C [[a]], and so on.  Haskell is lazy so we might even be able to build this infinite dictionary, but it *is* infinite.

It's a bit like the "recursive instance" stuff introduced in "Scrap your boilerplate with class".

After 5 mins thought I can't see a reason why this could not be made to work.  But it'd take work to do.  If you have a compelling application maybe you can open a feature request ticket, describing it, and referring this thread?

Has anyone else come across this?

Simon