Stack overflow weirdness

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 27 12:45:03 CET 2011

While tuning some code, the test programme suddenly started producing stack
overflows.
Reverting the code to a previous version did not revert that behaviour,
code that previously produced a well-behaved binary now produced stack
overflowing ones.
But only with ghc-7.0.1, not with ghc-6.12.3 and ghc-6.12.1, and when
compiled with optimisations (both, -O and -O2) and without profiling.
A HEAD from October and a freshly darcs pulled HEAD displayed the same
behaviour as 7.0.1.
At some point I tried compiling with -fno-strictness (+ -O or -O2) which
again produced well-behaved albeit somewhat slower binaries.
An hour or so later, I again compile with -O2 without -fno-strictness to
see whether the Core revealed something and, as suddenly as the stack
overflows started, they disappeared, for the time being, I consistently get
well-behaved binaries.

A run of an overflowing binary with -hT -K32M produced a triangular graph
with > 10MB Blackhole allocation and > 30MB TSO allocation in the peak.

Obviously the behaviour is not reproducible, nevertheless, perhaps somebody
has an idea what went on. Or should I attribute it to cosmic rays?

Cheers,
Daniel