RFC: migrating to git

Lars Viklund zao at acc.umu.se
Tue Jan 25 10:35:36 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 06:22:03PM -0600, David Peixotto wrote:
> Another possible advantage to git would be its support for submodules[1]. If we made the switch to git for all the repositories that GHC uses, then we could set them up as submodules. The advantage of submodules is that the GHC repo would contain pointers to the exact commit needed in the remote repository, and they would be under version control. Having submodules for the other repos would be similar to the darcs_all script, but would not have the danger of leaving [dangling pointers][2] when making a new branch.
>
> [1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-submodule.html
> [2] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cvs-ghc/2010-November/057573.html

During a list conversation about migrating to Git for another software
project, there was a discussion about submodules vs. subtrees for
tracking other projects. A subtree seems to be a way of getting the
contents of a branch merged at a non-root location. It might be a
relevant read and something to evaluate.

http://progit.org/book/ch6-7.html

Lars Viklund | zao at acc.umu.se