ltrace on FFI calls

Henning Thielemann ghc at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Jan 17 23:34:40 CET 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> I want to trace calls from a Haskell program to LLVM. I tried ltrace and
> latrace. latrace didn't trace anything useful and ltrace shows at least the
> call to one function (LLVMBuildRetVoid), but not the other ones. I'm quite
> confident that I linked to LLVM dynamically, since the executable is small
> (35 KB, not 60 MB as when linking statically). Do GHC-generated programs call
> a foreign library in a way that bypasses ltrace?

I found the answer myself: 'ltrace' only observes calls into shared
libraries, but not from shared libraries to other shared libraries and not
to statically linked libraries. I must not compile with 'ghc -dynamic'
since then the Haskell llvm bindings would be called as shared library and
the calls from there to LLVM are not traced by ltrace. But I must link
with the shared version of LLVM (option -lLLVM-2.8rc) in order to get
dynamic calls from Haskell to LLVM. It seems that LLVMBuildRetVoid was a
function call that was inlined, and thus it was called directly from Main
and not from the Haskell llvm bindings.