RFC: migrating to git

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 12:14:00 CET 2011

On 11/01/2011 00:36, roconnor at theorem.ca wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> It's time to consider again whether we should migrate GHC development
>> from darcs to (probably) git.
>>
>> From our perspective at GHC HQ, the biggest problem that we would hope
>> to solve by switching is that darcs makes branching and merging very
>> difficult for us.
>
> I don't develop GHC so you shouldn't really listen to me, but if you
> think Darcs makes branching and merging very diffcult then you won't
> like Git et al. which make braching and merging impossible since their
> semantic model is broken.

Thanks for this.  I distilled your example into a shell script that uses
git, and demonstrates that git gets the merge wrong:

   http://hpaste.org/42953/git_mismerge

Still, git could get this merge right, it just doesn't (I know there are
more complex cases that would be very hard for git to get right).  I
suspect that in practice this rarely matters, because context-based
merging usually does the right thing.