RFC: migrating to git

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 20:57:36 CET 2011

Hello,

I have been working on a GHC branch for the last few months and, for me,
switching to git would be a win because I find it quite difficult to keep my
branch and HEAD synchronized.  I allocate about a day, probably about once a
month, to redo my repository so that it is in sync with HEAD.

My background is that I use many VCSes for work (although lately, mostly
git), and git for my non-work projects.  I am by no means an advanced VCS
user.  I do like git's graph-based non-mutable history model and it has been
the only VCS where I've been able to work out how to do something more or
less "from first principles".  I don't really use the command line interface
much, I tend to use mostly tools like "gitk", and "git gui".

-Iavor