ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.0.2 Release Candidate 2

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Feb 28 21:47:26 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 04:08:55PM +0100, Christian Maeder wrote:
> Am 28.02.2011 13:33, schrieb Christian Maeder:
> > Am 20.02.2011 22:16, schrieb Ian Lynagh:
> >>
> >> We are pleased to announce the second release candidate for GHC 7.0.2:
> >>
> >>     http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.0.2-rc2/
> >
> > I'm surprised this is already the second release candidate for GHC
> > 7.0.2. The first release candidate was announced 16.12.2010 (and forgotten).

Well, we couldn't have another first RC  :-)

> > Shouldn't there be a third candidate to be sufficiently tested?

There's a trade-off. Building testing, uploading, etc, another RC would
be another 0.5-1 days work, and would put the release back by another
week (which also puts back the HP release, the 7.2.1 release, and at
this rate even the 7.4 release!).

> I could not test much yet, due to
> and

You mean that these stop you testing with the RC, rather than that you
think they're still broken in the 7.0 branch, right? You don't say what
package (and version of the package) you're using in #4972, so I can't
test it myself.

You can also test with a more recent nightly snapshot that has the
fixes for bugs that you're encountering:
    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/stable/dist/
The RCs just use a nightly snapshot as the source tarball.

If there are no known issues, I plan to release 7.0.2 tomorrow, though!

Thanks
Ian