ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.0.2 Release Candidate 1

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Feb 24 03:56:24 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 08:22:18AM -0800, paolino wrote:

> Hi, I've a problem compiling last network package 2.3.0.2
> [ 4 of 10] Compiling Network.Socket   ( dist/build/Network/Socket.hs,
> dist/build/Network/Socket.o )
>
> Network/Socket.hsc:1701:11:
>     Ambiguous occurrence `closeFdWith'
>     It could refer to either `Network.Socket.closeFdWith',
>                              defined at Network/Socket.hsc:1046:1
>                           or `GHC.Conc.closeFdWith',
>                              imported from GHC.Conc at
> Network/Socket.hsc:204:26-36
>
> Not sure it's related to 7.0.2, but I didn't have problems with 7.0.1

The definition is guarded by:
    #if !MIN_VERSION_base(4,3,1)
so I would guess that you are using the cabal program to install, and
your cabal is linked against an old version of the Cabal library that
doesn't have this patch:
    Tue Dec 29 02:33:58 GMT 2009  Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com>
      * Add parenthesis to macros in cabal_macros.h
      Now this like "#if !MIN_VERSION_base(4,2,0)" will work

"cabal --version" will tell you the library version, although I don't
know OTTOMH what version this was fixed in.

Thanks
Ian