a compiled program is slower than byte code

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 13:38:26 CET 2011

On 09/02/2011 09:25, Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> My stats look very different.
>>
>> 6 RuleFired
>>      1 ++
>>      2<=#
>>      1 foldr/app
>>      1 unpack
>>      1 unpack-list
>>
>> Are your libraries compiled with -O2?
>
> I don't know. How can I check?
>
> I just installed ghc-7.0 by "perl boot; configure; make; make install".

(sorry, I missed your reply earlier)

The default build settings use -O2 for the libraries, so your build is
fine.  I don't understand the differences between your
-ddump-simpl-stats and mine, but I think we have this particular
performance problem fixed now anyway (I'm right now validating patches
for the 7.0 branch).