GHCi+Cairo, Windows

Axel Simon Axel.Simon at in.tum.de
Thu Feb 3 09:15:21 CET 2011

Hi Alexey,

On 01.02.2011, at 16:47, Alexey Shumitsky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have problem with ghci+cairo on windows. When I try to load, for
> example like this "ghci -package cairo" it fails with the following
> error:

> : C:\Users\alexeys\AppData\Roaming\cabal
> \cairo-0.12.0\ghc-6.12.3\HScairo-0.12.0.o:
> unknown symbol `_cairo_surface_destroy'
> `cairo-0.12.0'
>
> Even simplest programs don't work in interactive mode, like for
> example 'Text.hs' that comes with cairo package. However compiled with
> 'ghc --make' everything works as expected, so its not a "missing dll"
> problem - everything is in place.
>
> I used 'filemon' on "ghci" and in the log I can see that
> 'libcairo-2.dll' was found and loaded successfully  (and this library
> has '_cairo_surface_destroy' symbol defined). So I don't understand -
> what more does it want and what can be done to combat it?

Sorry about the slow feedback. I know that on Windows our
Gtk2HsSetup.hs magic file does some name mangling that is necessary
because the binary Gtk installer has some oddly named libraries. It
might be that we didn't get this mangling right for cairo or that it
has changed. I had hoped that somebody with a windows machine might
reply to your problems. But maybe you could give us the version of the
binary installer. If its new, then they might have changed the naming...

Cheers,
Axel