building ghc-7.1.20110125 under Mac OS X

John Lato jwlato at
Tue Feb 1 12:30:41 CET 2011

> Subject: building ghc-7.1.20110125 under Mac OS X
> hi list.
> i have to build ghc-7.1.20110125 under mac os x, so i grabbed the stable
> snapshot. Everything builds fine but the resulting compiler has problems
>  with ld. It passes gcc flags to ld like "-march=-i686". Any ideas?
> BTW while still here. Are there any specific docs available on building
> 64-bit mac os x compiler?

Hi Pavel,

I'm not aware of any specific docs for building 64-bit on os x, but I didn't
have any difficulty last time I tried.  The key point is you need a 64-bit
bootstrap compiler (probably until is fixed), however there are
binary distributions of ghc you can use for this.  After you install a
64-bit binary, go to the ghc src and do

./configure --with-ghc=/path/to/ghc64bin/ && make

and it should work.

N.B. don't install 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same ghc, because the
libraries will clobber each other.  If you want to have this, change the
version before you install the second arch.