7.4.1-cand for docon

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Fri Dec 30 16:55:05 CET 2011

Dear GHC team,

The archive
    http://botik.ru/pub/local/Mechveliani/ghcBugs/ghc741candQuest.zip

contains the source of the  docon-2.12  application.
ghc-7.0.1  compiles it and runs the test successfully.
ghc-7.4.0.20111219  cannot compile it.

1. It requires to add  Show a  to  Integral a  in a certain place.
   It occurs that this requirement breaks the standard (?).
   But all right, so far, add   Show a  there and see what happens further.

2. It reports that certain two packages overlap at some module.
   This is a matter of the  `build-depends'  field in  docon.cabal
   and of the  import  declarations.

I tried to correct the  build-depends  list.
But each time the compiler reports that
a) some packages overlap            or
b) build-depends  has a wrong line  or
c) it cannot find some module (for example,  Random).

Can you please, look into  ghc741candQuest.zip  and set there an appropriate
build-depends ?
(so that            make configure
                    make build
                    make install
finish correctly).
How does the user guess of this list, what is the method?

This also touches the question of the

module Random
-------------

Thorkil Naur <naur at post11.tele.dk>  wrote

>  System.Random can be found in http://hackage.haskell.org/package/random.

I do not find the  Random class  in  Haskell-2010.
Probably, DoCon imports Random from the GHC (non-standard) library.

When installing  ghc-7.01,  I just download the source distribution, `make'
it, and it installs automatically together with the module Random.

Has the status of the module Random changed in  ghc-7.4.1 ?
What is a regular way to install  ghc-7.4.1  together with the module Random ?

3. After the point (2) is fixed, there may appear some more of them ...

Thank you in advance for your explanation,

------
Sergei
mechvel at botik.ru