7.4.1-cand for docon

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Fri Dec 30 16:55:05 CET 2011

Dear GHC team,

The archive

contains the source of the  docon-2.12  application.
ghc-7.0.1  compiles it and runs the test successfully.
ghc-  cannot compile it.

1. It requires to add  Show a  to  Integral a  in a certain place.
   It occurs that this requirement breaks the standard (?).
   But all right, so far, add   Show a  there and see what happens further.

2. It reports that certain two packages overlap at some module.
   This is a matter of the  `build-depends'  field in  docon.cabal
   and of the  import  declarations.

I tried to correct the  build-depends  list.
But each time the compiler reports that
a) some packages overlap            or
b) build-depends  has a wrong line  or
c) it cannot find some module (for example,  Random).

Can you please, look into  ghc741candQuest.zip  and set there an appropriate
build-depends ?
(so that            make configure
                    make build
                    make install
finish correctly).
How does the user guess of this list, what is the method?

This also touches the question of the

module Random

Thorkil Naur <naur at post11.tele.dk>  wrote

>  System.Random can be found in http://hackage.haskell.org/package/random.

I do not find the  Random class  in  Haskell-2010.
Probably, DoCon imports Random from the GHC (non-standard) library.

When installing  ghc-7.01,  I just download the source distribution, `make'
it, and it installs automatically together with the module Random.

Has the status of the module Random changed in  ghc-7.4.1 ?
What is a regular way to install  ghc-7.4.1  together with the module Random ?

3. After the point (2) is fixed, there may appear some more of them ...

Thank you in advance for your explanation,

mechvel at botik.ru