ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 1

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at
Wed Dec 28 16:11:04 CET 2011

I've pushed a patch to the docs. Thanks

From: glasgow-haskell-users-bounces at [mailto:glasgow-haskell-users-bounces at] On Behalf Of José Pedro Magalhães
Sent: 28 December 2011 15:08
To: Wolfgang Jeltsch
Cc: glasgow-haskell-users at
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 1

Hi Wolfgang,
On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 13:51, Wolfgang Jeltsch <g9ks157k at<mailto:g9ks157k at>> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 28.12.2011, 12:48 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton-Jones:
> | By the way, is there a reason behind the fact that "Constraint" uses the
> | ordinary case, while "BOX" has all three letters capitalized? Wouldn't
> | it be more sensible if it were "Box" instead of "BOX"?
> Only that BOX is a sort (currently the one and only sort), whereas
> Constraint is a kind.  I'm not sure that BOX should ever be displayed
> to users.
Okay, this makes sense then. However, note that the GHC User's manual
mixes the terminology ("kind" vs. "sort") at one point:

   Note that List, for instance, does not get kind BOX -> BOX, because
   we do not further classify kinds; all kinds have sort BOX.

I think, it should say "sort BOX -> BOX".

Yes, it should indeed say "sort", not "kind". If you know of any other places in the documentation with this type/kind/sort of inconsistency, please let me know :-)

Best wishes,

Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users at<mailto:Glasgow-haskell-users at>