ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 1

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Wed Dec 28 14:51:48 CET 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 28.12.2011, 12:48 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton-Jones:
> | By the way, is there a reason behind the fact that “Constraint” uses the
> | ordinary case, while “BOX” has all three letters capitalized? Wouldn’t
> | it be more sensible if it were “Box” instead of “BOX”?
>
> Only that BOX is a sort (currently the one and only sort), whereas
> Constraint is a kind.  I'm not sure that BOX should ever be displayed
> to users.

Okay, this makes sense then. However, note that the GHC User’s manual
mixes the terminology (“kind” vs. “sort”) at one point:

    Note that List, for instance, does not get kind BOX -> BOX, because
    we do not further classify kinds; all kinds have sort BOX.

    <http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/stable/docs/html/users_guide/kind-polymorphism-and-promotion.html>

I think, it should say “sort BOX -> BOX”.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang