Occasional segfault in GHCi w/ 7.4.1-rc1 and 64bit OS X

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 08:10:51 CET 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 00:35, austin seipp <as at hacks.yi.org> wrote:

> I looked at the shell scripts that invoke GHC and ran GDB with the
> proper arguments. I got a backtrace like so:

I would not place much faith in this particular backtrace; gdb is badly
broken on SL and Lion, it gets seriously mucked up by the way shared
library stubs work (probably among other issues, but this one was easy to
spot:  just try to trace through such a call), and I get failures running
stuff in gdb that do not happen outside of it.  Backtraces from core files
are okay, but running something inside gdb will often fail in quasi-random
places.

(there's a bug open in MacPorts about it.  someone did manage to get the
very latest gdb to work at one point, but both Apple's and MacPorts' gdbs
are known to fail.)